Under the FAL, Council must create a policy outlining the duties and functions of the tax administrator . The tasks and responsibilities of the tax administrator may be done by more than one person as long as each person involved reports directly to the senior financial officer or the senior manager .
This policy must state that the tax administrator must carry out his or her duties as outlined in the First Nations Fiscal Management Act, the First Nation’s local revenues laws, and the FAL.
The duties must include:
- reporting directly to the senior financial officer or the senior manager
- managing local revenues and the local revenues account on a day-to-day basis
- recommending the draft and amended local revenues budget component for the yearly budget to the senior financial officer
- recommending the local revenues component of the multi-year financial plan to the senior financial officer
- providing advice to the senior manager, senior financial manager, Finance and Audit Committee, and the Council on local revenues matters as requested
- making sure all rules and standards of applicable laws are being followed in the administration of local revenues and the local revenues account