Policies and procedures make sure everyone is on the same page on how things get done at a Nation.
They provide confidence to members that everyone is treated fairly and equally and may protect a Nation against possible legal action and loss of money and property .
The FMB has developed 4 sample policies to assist First Nations with bringing their FAL to life and becoming FMS certified.
While these sample policies and procedures meet the FMB's Standards , they should be adapted to fit the specific needs of your First Nation as well as your FAL.
The Sample Policies and Procedures cover many activities that are required by your FAL.
For a summary of what's required in your FAL, download this Quick Reference Guide (PDF).
The FMB offers many tools, templates, webinars, workshops and training to support your Nation in bringing to life each area of your FAL, as listed below.
- Policies and Procedures
- Delegation of Responsibilities
- Code of Conduct / ** Managing Conflicts of Interest Video
- Finance and Audit Committee / ** Demystifying the Finance and Audit Committee Video
- Appointment of First Nation's Officers
- External Audit
- Reporting of Remuneration and Expenses
- Integrated Planning
- Strategic Planning
- Risk Management / ** Managing Risks - A Path To Success Video
- Multi-year Financial Planning
- Capital Assets / ** Life-cycle Planning For Capital Assets Video
- Capital Projects / ** Managing Capital Projects Video
- Borrowing Money
- Account and Cash Management
- Financial and Operational Reporting
- System Improvement